Now, you can listen and/or read!
Focus: Defining yourself by the Word of God
Psalm 119:105 (NKJV) Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
Today I was thinking about what Bible verses were the ‘most important’ to me. At first, I thought I would go for my ‘top 10 passages’. But, after I had written ten of them out on index cards—there were still a lot of other ones that kept popping into my head. I was thinking, “Well, maybe I should trade this one for that one”, to keep it to my top ten best. Then, it occurred to me that maybe I could write out my ‘top 31’ and have at least one favorite Bible passage for each day of the month.
As a way of growing your faith—I’d like to encourage you to do the same thing. Maybe you know a lot of Bible verses and maybe you don’t. Either way, it’s okay. If you want to use some of mine—you’re welcome to do that. I use index cards for writing things down I want to remember. You could do that—or you could just copy and print the page you’re reading. If some of these are verses you’ve never memorized—work on doing that, too. Hide them in your heart.
1. 1 John 1:9 (KJV) If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
2. Philippians 4:13 (NKJV) I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
3. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV) If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away; behold, all things have become new.
4. John 3:16 (NKJV) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
5. Isaiah 53:5 (NKJV) But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.
6. Romans 12:2 (NKJV) And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
7. 2 Corinthians 6:17 (NKJV) Therefore, Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you.
8. Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV) But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
9. Philippians 4:7 (NKJV) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
10. Acts 1:8 (NKJV) But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
11. Matthew 6:33 (NKJV) But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
12. Jeremiah 1:5 (NKJV) Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.
13. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV) No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
14. Psalm 119:11 (NKJV) Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
15. Luke 1:37 (NKJV) For with God nothing will be impossible.
16. Romans 8:37 (NKJV) Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
17. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
18. Psalm 30:5 (NKJV) For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.
19. Psalm 139:23-24 (NKJV) Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
20. Matthew 22:37-39 (NKJV) Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
21. John 8:31-32 (NKJV) …If you continue in my Word you are truly my disciple. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
22. Galatians 6:7 (NKJV) Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
23. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV) Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
24. Romans 8:39 (NKJV) Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
25. Revelation 21:4 (KJV) And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
26. Revelation 12:11 (KJV) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
27. James 1:5 (KJV) If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
28. Philippians 4:4 (NKJV) Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
29. John 14:1-3 ((NKJV) Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
30. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 Pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
31. Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV) For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Declaration: I will define myself by the Word of God. I will find new strength by meditating on my favorite scriptures and contemplating why they give me hope and encouragement.
If you subscribe to New Strength, a new segment will come to your email each day.
For music selections that will help bring hope and encouragement during your recovery from depression and addiction, browse:http://www.youtube.com/view_all_playlists
All NEW STRENGTH posts are Copyright by Christina Cook Lee 2012. Please request permission to re-post or re-blog.