Focus: Finding God’s best plan for your life
Psalm:119:76-77 (NKJV) Let, I pray, Your merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to Your word to Your servant. Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; for Your law is my delight.
God made you for great things. You may not see it that way, but He did.
When you’re scrambling to fulfill the desires of your own heart and your plans aren’t working out—it’s time to stop and take a look at things. It’s easy to get sidetracked without even knowing it. You may be going along, keeping busy—thinking you’re doing the right things—but maybe you’re not. If what you’re doing is leaving you with a sense of disillusionment, ask yourself some questions.
- Is what I’m giving myself to truly God’s plan for my life? Make sure that what you’re doing is really what God wants you to do. Sometimes a counterfeit can look an awful lot like the real thing. It might seem like you’re doing the right thing…but maybe you’re not.
- If I could change one thing about my work, what would it be? God wants you to have peace and happiness. You should always do what you can to make your work more enjoyable. Pray about it, and then see if anything comes to you that could be adjusted, to make your work—and life, more enjoyable.
- Could I continue to do what I’m presently doing, and approach it with a new sense of spirituality? When you go through a day living in the presence of Almighty God, your circumstances—and work, will be transformed. Ask the Lord to add meaning and life to what you’re doing, so that you’ll feel more like doing it, and experience His presence in the process.
- Should I consider making a change? Change can be risky and scary, but God can provide the right opportunity and the courage you need to take a bold step, if you need to. Ask Him to open the right door, and He will.
- What would I do, if I had the liberty of making a change? Life is short. If there’s an unfulfilled desire in your heart, pray about it. Ask God to give you some signs, so you’ll know for sure. If He gives you the confirmation, then act on it and give Him the chance to bless you.
When you’re surrounded by the tender mercies of the Lord, you are able to do things you wouldn’t have—or couldn’t have done—in the past. When you’re in a hole that seems too deep to ever climb out of, the mercy of the Lord is what you really need. His tender mercy can transform you—and your situation.
It is so common for people to feel the dull ache of emptiness and yet not be doing anything toward finding a better way to live. Sometimes God can’t bless your life because you’re in the wrong company, doing the wrong kind of things. God always wants to bless those who are seeking Him, but if you’re somehow in a place that is in disagreement with His laws and ways—He can’t bless you until you ‘come out’ and get into a place of blessing.
The thing to remember is that God deeply loves you and wants you to be happy and fulfilled. He always has your best interest at heart. Don’t be afraid to ask Him to show you what His best plan for you would be. Do you have the faith to ask Him to show you? Whether you do or don’t, ask Him anyway. Take that step of faith. You might be surprised, when you do. Maybe at first, you won’t feel anything different. It might even seem like maybe He didn’t hear you and maybe nothing is going to change at all…but it will.
Part of God’s answer to you always has to do with your willingness to really know His answer. If you ask, but don’t really want an answer—you probably won’t get one. If you ask with a completely open heart and mind—you will either start feeling more peace about your life—or, you will see a different door open to you that you may have thought never would, or a door may open that you had never even contemplated.
So many people think God is ‘out to get them’. They’re afraid to ask Him to show them His best plan because they’re scared it won’t be any fun. Those people have a lot to learn about God. He is full of merciful kindness and comfort. He has always had a plan for you that would bring you total joy and peace.
Put your trust in Him and His ability to lead you in right ways. He will give you the life you dreamed you would have—but haven’t. It’s not too late. He can still do it…just ask Him to.
Declaration: I will find new strength by evaluating my life and circumstances. I will have the courage to ask God to show me His best plan for me.
All NEW STRENGTH posts are Copyright by Christina Cook Lee as of the date they were written and posted. Please request permission to re-post or re-blog. This material will be published as a book in 2014, by the grace of God. To subscribe to New Strength, select ‘follow’ in the upper left corner of this page.
For music selections that will help bring hope and encouragement during your recovery from depression and addiction, browse:http://www.youtube.com/user/NewStrengthMusic/videos?view=1&flow=grid